Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

About Da Grumps' 66 Chevy II Red/White
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: About Da Grumps' 66 Chevy II Red/White
About Da Grumps' 66 Chevy II Red/White 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Morning everybody, my name is Nick. Im new here, I have a few questions about the vintage years of drag racing, I'm 25 years of age and have been reading all sorts of articles, more so especially the Stock Eliminator Class, guys such as Bud Schellenburger, Da Grump, Dick Landy, Jere Stahl, and a few others. I have a handful of DVD's of the mid 60's era of S/S and stock eliminator. I enjoy pro stock as well(current) guys such as Mike Edwards(having a incredible year so far) Greg Anderson, Jason Line, V. Gaines, Erica Enders, Vinnie Nobile, Allen Johnson and so forth.

I'd like to understand how stock eliminator class was back in the day, with me being around since 87' I have limited info upon it. So I came here to try to understand somethings better.

So heres my question, Da Grump's 66 Chevy II(one of my personal fav.), the red/white one (national record holder) its labled on his hood "327ci" but reading about his chevy II on "Grumpy's Toys"(If im reading about the right one, not the white one) its stated that he had it bored 0.30 over (331ci). so did the grump really have his chevy II as a 331ci instead of a 327ci?

Just wondering

Thank you everybody!
90C4L98 (User)
Spectator
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: About Da Grumps' 66 Chevy II Red/White 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Welcome to the forum, it's great to see someone your age showing an interest in the older cars. I can't answer specifically about Jenkin's red Chevy II but I can say it was quite common for racers (street and strip) to bore 327's out to 331. At least until the 350 came out in '67. Another engine popular amongst hot rodders and racers was the 301 which was basically a 327 small journal crank block and a 283 crank. With the right cam those were nasty little high revving engines (7,500-8,000 rpm, high for the '60's)that surprised many a driver of a larger displacement engine. The actual displacement was 301.7 something and in '67 Chevy built their own version for the '67 Z/28 and rounded up the displacement to 302. If I recall the first 302's were the small journal 327 block but later Chevy gave the 302 a large journal crank. Some guys might have used a 283 bored out to a 4.00 bore but the guys I knew used the 327 block/283 crank. Many a person was fooled by the "283" or "327" fender emblem.
lofat46 (User)
Driver
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013/06/17 13:42 By lofat46.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
RocketTheme Joomla Templates