Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Awards Ceremony
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Awards Ceremony
Awards Ceremony 2 Years, 11 Months ago  
Hey guys
I'm new to the Good Guys club and had a 1968 Camaro Z/28 in the show on Saturday and Sunday. My question is this:

When did they judge the cars? I never once had judges stop at my car or even near my car for that matter. Not to mention, some of the cars that did get awards were no where near the quality of my car. I understand that I have under 30K in my car (built by me) as aposed to 150K that someone spent to have their car done but really?????
This image is hidden for guests. Please login or register to see it.
pbranen (User)
Spectator
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Awards Ceremony 2 Years, 11 Months ago  
Nice looking car. One thing about Goodguys, there is no real judging. There's no points, no judging sheets and you won't have guys crawling under and around your car looking for dirt or factory markings. A lot of the awards are Rodders Rep picks. Reps are volunteers that help out at different booths and awards areas. I was one for about 9 years. The reps are given an award name and then it's up to them to find the car they feel best fits the award. They will have all day Friday and most of Saturday to do this. When I did it, and I think most reps are like this, they'll know the car when they see it and just pick it. The Rep will then notify the owner their car won an award, make sure they'll be there for the Sunday awards presentation and that's it. For the Pro's picks, the professional builder that is picking the awards for a particular GG event will go out and find the cars he wants. Each Pro may have his or her own criteria but there is no formal judging. Dollars invested is not really a consideration for an award. I'm guessing 90-95% of the participants don't go to GG events with the hopes of winning anything or even wanting to win an award. It would be nice, but just being there is in itself an award. Also, when I was picking cars I always tried to pick a car that was driven to the event and I don't mean driven from a trailer in a hotel. One thing I would look for was rock chips and bugs on the radiator or small pebbles in the tire tread.
lofat46 (User)
Driver

Lofat46 pretty much nailed it. Except for the Terrific 12, the Pick selection is very informal. If you still have the Schedule of Events that was handed out at Registration, there is a pretty good explanation of how Goodguys goes about selecting the picks for any particular event.
GoodguyAndrew (Moderator)

It seems to me that nobody reads anything. That's the reason for all the questions to the staff and the host club about when things are going to happen. If it wasn't for the people at registration telling each person about the mug, daily door prize and sunday ticket drop the newbies would be lost. I don't think anyone looks at the venue layout map. Perhaps GPS coordinates should be printed on the tickets.
Slash (User)
Spectator

OUCH!!!!! Jeesh, sorry I asked. I've never been to a GG car show with my own car which is why I asked the questions I did.
pbranen (User)
Spectator

I think I'm just gonna stick to the local car shows going forward.

You know, the ones where folks actually drive their cars (not off a trailer like the ones in the winner's circle). Normal guys have to beg their wives for a couple hundred bucks for a new carburator, or an entry fee so they are very proud of their cars (built by themselves). We don't have bottomless pockets to buy an award. That said, $75 bucks to enter is a big deal when you walk away with nothing after all the hatd work you've put into your ride......
pbranen (User)
Spectator

If you don't ask you don't know. $75.00 to enter that includes your subscription to the Goodguys Gazette and membership which means you can enter the GG events at a discount rate, especially if you take advantage of the early bird discounts. I look at it this way, I subscribe to several magazines and the Gazette is one of them and the discount is a bonus. I truly hope you keep going to GG events, I think they are by far the best.

Anyway, in my opinion a trophy is a dust collector and a plaque just takes up valuable wall space. The best "trophies" are the comments made by spectators and other participants about your car. Those and a thumbs up goin' down the highway are all the "awards" I need. When I was a Rep and was picking cars I steered away from the show cars. You know the ones, sign boards, mirrors, Armor All on the tire treads. Sure many of the cars picked at all car events, not just GG, are trailered but many are not. This may get me into trouble but winning a trophy is nice and this is again my opinion, if a person goes to a GG event or NSRA event or any car show just to win a trophy then that person is in the wrong hobby.
lofat46 (User)
Driver

pbranen wrote:
Hey guys
I'm new to the Good Guys club and had a 1968 Camaro Z/28 in the show on Saturday and Sunday. My question is this:

When did they judge the cars? I never once had judges stop at my car or even near my car for that matter. Not to mention, some of the cars that did get awards were no where near the quality of my car. I understand that I have under 30K in my car (built by me) as aposed to 150K that someone spent to have their car done but really?????
This image is hidden for guests. Please login or register to see it.

Great Camaro!

Awards don't necessarily have anything to do with the amount of money spent on a car. By far the majority of our awards go to the everyday car guy and we especially enjoy recognizing homebuilders.

It always frustrates me when people who don't win an award decide they did not have a good time because of it and then claim that all of the winners are trailered cars. Realistically maybe 5-10% of the cars at Goodguys events are trailered.
KIRK! (Visitor)

It's not a question of whether or not I had a good time. I had a great time. Was just trying to understand how judging was done. Now I know....
pbranen (User)
Spectator

I read the comments on this and most of the guys make sense. I've attended the Lone Star Nationals with my high school car, a 70 Hugger Orange Camaro bought in 1975 and when I did not win anything, it did not bother me at all. I've done most of the work on my car over the years since 2000 but have had guys from car builders etc. tell me they don't go back to Good Guys, cause they ain't fair in their judging. I disagree. They've told me I would never win anything because I don't have enough money in mine. Then I had to skip the Fall Lone Star event. So I drove two weeks later, 856 miles from Waco Tx. to Bowling Green KY.
After wiping my car down on Sat. I went to watch the Nostalgia Drags. I was parked under trees and had dust all over my car and leaves inside and in my trunk, when I returned.
The guy next to me said, a dude came by and put something on your headlight. I had no idea this is how you're notified you've won something. When I reached in to accumulate all the car show flyers people had thrown in, there was one from Good Guys saying I had been picked for the Good Year Ya Gotta Drive Em award and to show up at 8:00 on Sunday to get into the winners circle. Who did I call first? My wife, NO, I called the guy who told me I would never be picked for anything at Good Guys ! Wow, that was so cooooool...
I agree with the guy who said the thumbs up we get when we are on the road and the crowd around your car when you come out of the restaurant or gas station is way more cool than any trophy. Though I really enjoy my new set of Good Years I won.
mburrow (User)
Spectator

I have a lil story about winning trophys, I never go to a show expecting to win, personally I think there's to much politics when it comes to judged shows. Back in 1995 I went to a hotrod powerfest driving a 66 nova 4 door inline 6 with a glide mostly stock with a faded paint job (before that was in) I won two awards that weekend, the best beater award and the sears diehard gold award and with that award came a set of einke wheels of my choosing any size any style. THAT WAS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED.

I dont think the amount of money I had in the car swayed the votes any. Maybe they felt sorry for me. But I had fun at the show wether I won or not.
MOTORHEAD (User)
Spectator
mmmmhmmm......That is a tastey burger

Go to topPage: 1
RocketTheme Joomla Templates